Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ground Cherries

Now that our local Farm Market is closed for the season, I want to visit a few others -- both to keep my larder stocked with fresh produce as long as possible AND to get ideas on how to improve our own market.  Last Saturday, we stopped at the Hubbard's Farm Market.  It was a beautifully sunny but very cold day.  I needed that cup of fresh coffee (and that chocolate croissant).

They had a nice selection of produce as well as crafts and various foods inside the barn.  I never imagined I'd find fresh local strawberries in October; but I did!  We ate some delicious sushi -- a sweet potato & avocado as well as a spicy date.  I got to buy my favorite mesclun blend of greens (Thank you Rumtopf Farms) and 7 grain bread (Julian's Bakery).  

I also bought something brand new to me:  Ground Cherries.

Google says:  Ground cherries are also known as a Cape Gooseberry.  It's a small orange fruit inside a paper lantern and is a member of the tomato and Chinese Lantern family of fruit.

It's low in calories, fat and contains no cholesterol.  It's a good source of Niacin (B3) and vitamens A & C.  It's believed to inhibit cancer and lower cholesterol, protect against cold and flu, lower blood pressure and protect against Parkinson's.  It also contains pectin which helps regulate our blood sugar, so that makes it a great fruit to eat if you have a sweet tooth that you'd like to tame.  

According to one site, "It has a pleasant, unique tomato/pineapple like blend."  I find it similar to a Tomatillo but softer, sweeter and not nearly as tart.  

You can eat it raw (which I did and was the reason I bought it), use it in salads, jams, jellies or salsas.  It can be dried and eaten like a raisin; and get this -- it is excellent when dipped in chocolate!

Did I need any further encouragement?
DELICIOUS!










5 comments:

Diana said...

They look so good dipped in chocolate! I'll look for them here but doubt that I'll find them. I'd love to try something that's sweet and good for you too! I love your market!! Love Di ♥

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

One of my sons picked up some of those at his local market for us to try out. They were unique in flavor and I enjoyed them, but not something I'd get every day. That was the first time I'd even heard of them.
Enjoy those farm markets. Now is a great time to go. It won't be long and they'll all be closing except for those indoors. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

WoW!!!! Ground cherries...I've never heard of 'em either but they do sound most interestin'!!!

Sounds like a great market ya found there girl.

Have a blessed and beautiful day sweetie!!!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Is there anything that can't be dipped in chocolate? It does make the world a little nicer, doesn't it?

wendy said...

All I can say is YUM YUM YUM on every level, and on every food item you talked about here.
I have NEVER tasted those.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...