Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday with Shef Sandy!

Today was meal prep day for the week.  (Well, not all the meals, of course.  We can eat chicken nuggets and/or grilled cheese some nights, right!)  And my little Japanese daughter - who's never seen or tasted any of this food - is my new cooking sidekick!   

On today's "Sunday with Shef Sandy" we prepared:
  • a deep, dark, delicious, warming chili with a healthy dose of minced jalepenos (minus 8 temps call for heat)
  • a lovely help-clean-out-the-fridge soup with minced bacon, chopped ham, black beans, rice, veggies and a dollop of tomato sauce 
  • Ambrosia for dessert; and these yummy double chocolate banana muffins for school lunches (and sneaking while I blog!)


And then there was this new dish for dinner:  Chicken Adobo.  I found the recipe online looking for crockpot recipes.

Easy recipe:

Marinate 3-5 lb of chicken (4 thighs for me) in 1/4 cup soy sauce, lots of minced garlic, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or regular), 2-4 bay leaves, salt and pepper.  Marinate for a good long while:  7 hr for me; recipe says overnight. When ready to bake, the chicken gets baked on a bed of shredded carrots (1-1.5 cups) and an onion sliced in rings.  Pour the marinade over this, cover with foil and bake for an hour to 1.5 hr (or cook in the crockpot on low for 7-8; high for 4-5).  

I served this with rice and a simple spinach salad.  And it was absolutely delicious!  The chicken was tender and infused with flavor; and the carrots and onions had a sweet 'n' sour flair.    

A definite YES recipe! 



7 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

You are so organized! I guess when you're working and have 2 young ladies to feed you need to be. Everything looks delicious but I'd have to pass on the jalepenos even if it is cold outside! :) Have a great week Sandy!

TARYTERRE said...

Cooking is fun. I LOVE when you find a recipe that works on all levels, like your chicken dish did. My brother used to make a chicken adobo dish. Everything else sounds yummy, too. A nice way to spend the day. take care.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Having your girls there must keep you busy in the kitchen. I remember when my family was home and it seemed that was a full time job keeping them fed. Course I worked like you so we did plan ahead too. Now it seems If I cook one day it will feed me for several days but that is fine cause I like leftovers. Hope your Monday is a great one!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Ya know, every great cook need a good side~kick!!!

Oh that chicken sounds heavenly and looks melt in your mouth. Sure sounds like a keeper to me. MMMMmmmm~~~ Thanks for the recipe!

Now if you'd please pass me a muffin, I'd be a happy camper.

God bless ya sweetie and have a marvelous week!

Debra from Bungalow said...

That's looks so yummy. I love chicken in the crockpot. Someday I should prepare a couple days worth of meals.....I said someday!

I admire you for doing that and will strive to do better.

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

It all looks soooo good but those muffins would definitely be finished around here in one sitting. Cooking so much more fun when you share it with somebody.

wendy said...

It all looks fabulous. I would have liked to have been at your house for dinner !!!
Shef Sandy...I like that.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...