Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Birthday Celebration

My lovely little Brazilian girl turned 17 yesterday. A Mama has to treat all her children alike, right!
.
So she started her day with a Canadian style breakfast in bed(room);


... balloons and presents (those fuzzy jammies will come in handy in another month!) . .... and an afternoon spent with friends and an evening out celebrating 2 Brazilian and 1 Mexican birthday. A full and happy day for her!.
But there was more birthday fun to be had. Today when all the family was together, we had a celebratory Brazilian dinner. I made "Feijoda" and "Pao de Queijo". The Feijoda is a typical Sunday meal that every household in Brazil would serve. It's a combination of bacon, pork tenderloin and different kinds of smoked sausage, sauteed with onions, garlic (and a touch of heat), lots of bay leaves, and then mixed with black beans. I cooked it yesterday then slow heated it in the oven today; the result was this rich, dark, delicious blend of flavors that I loved!


The Pao de Queijo are cheese rolls made with cassava (tapioca) flour. Cassava flour was bizzaar for me to work with as the moment it touched the heated milk/butter mixture, it became a glob! Beat in eggs and cheese -- strenuous work! Cool, roll (with floured hands) into balls and bake. They were crispy on the outside and chewy (I say spongy) on the inside. Strange texture for this Canadian woman and I imagined them doing funny things in my digestive system!But Mariana adored her meal and said I cooked everything perfectly -- just like her Grandma would make it! That is high praise indeed!
.
And every birthday needs a cake. When she worked yesterday at Dairy Queen, my daughter Molly made Mariana an ice cream cake. You know, every international student that I've had stay with me has never had DQ ice cream cake before! ... a situation I always remedy (much to their pleasure).Isn't she beautiful! And such a sweet, happy girl!

.

Just one problem. Now she wants her birthday every day!

.

.


























13 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

You're not one to do anything half way. Great job on celebrating your lovely new daughter's birthday. I quite impressed by your cooking, Ms. "Thang"!

Pamela Gordon said...

How fun! That meat dish looks and sounds so good. I think I'm hungry right now - at 10:00 p.m.! Not good. You are a wonderful hostess to these girls! Blessings to you. Pamela

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Lucky girl. She will always remember this day you gave her.

Arleen

Chatty Crone said...

You did good and she had fun! sandie

Red said...

Good on you for making the national food for this girl! You learn so much by putting effort into making the special foods. It doesn't hurt us one bit to try something different.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Happy Birthday to you Brazilian girl! What a sweetie you are for making her day away from family so special.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I just hate typos. I meant YOUR Brazilian girl. I know you're not Brazilian!

TARYTERRE said...

Happy Birthday to your Brazilian girl. Looks like a festive celebration. All that food. YUMMY. The Feijoda especially looks appetizing. But I must say the Dairy Queen Cake was the piece de resistance. Glad you all had a wonderful day. Take care.

DearHelenHartman said...

Heck, I want MY birthday at your house! Except I don't think that Brazilian dinner would let me - or anyone in the household - sleep. What a lovely girl and what a fun memory you gave her.

highheeledlife said...

Happy Birthday to your Brazilian(daughter)- You are a wonderful hostess... these will be memories that she will treasure!! xo HHL

karensomethingorother said...

Very fun! How nice that you made those traditional dishes too. Very adventurous!

wendy said...

Well, DANG, I'd want a birthday every day too if it was That Much Fun.
She is lovely for sure.
and I love that phot of you on your header.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Now won't that change as the birthdays pile up on her??? Heeehehehe!

You are such a good host~mama! The girls are so blessed to have you in their lives.

Give the beautiful birthday gal a big Ozarks hug from me. "K"???

God bless and have a beautiful week my friend!

BTW: Giveaway over at my place!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...