Monday, October 25, 2010

Lunchable Surprise!


.

If I said let's have lunch together and I suggested a delicious salad made with:
  • fresh-grilled chicken
  • mixed greens
  • oven-roasted tomatoes
  • fire-roasted corn
  • savory black beans
  • poblano peppers
  • shredded cheddar and jack cheeses and
  • chili lime tortilla strips

Would your mouth water? Would you say "I love Southwest Chicken salad"? And would the only trouble you'd have with getting this stuff down your throat be when it hangs out the side of your mouth because you're grinning in delight with every yummy morsel?.




Yup! Me too!

.

That was lunch for me today. And guess where this yummy salad came from? McDonalds! It was gorgeous, darlings! Absolutely gorgeous!

.

I've tried grilled chicken salads from all the fast food places; they've been awful to mediocre to quite passable. But I like the meal-sized salads at McDonalds. I've eaten the Asian -- very good! And the Greek -- very, very good! .

Today for the first time, I tried the new southwest chicken salad. And man! It was delicious! The portion size for their salads is excellent; more than enough as a main portion meal. The chicken is always juicy and tender. And the flavoring today was perfect! Just enough kick without being too spicy; you could taste each individual flavor. I did use the Southwest Ranch dressing that they included; but I find that half the packet is enough -- plus I've saved myself some calories.

So, what about the nutritional content of this food, you may ask? Pretty darned decent actually!

.

  • With grilled chicken: 320 calories, 9 g fat,3 g sat. fat, 30 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 30 g protein

  • With crispy chicken: 400 calories, 16 g fat,4 g sat. fat, 41 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein

.

And according to Weight Watchers, this salad is worth about 6 points. Very filling and very tasty indeed.

.

McDonald's Southwest Chicken Salad:
.
.

I really am lovin' it!
.

.

(No money changed hands during this endorcement ... except for $7.81 Canadian it cost me to buy it. They did not even pay me in free salads!! (which was the suggestion I made to the little counter person who served me.)

.

9 comments:

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

"MMMmmmmm", said the mouthwaterin' mouth! I love Southwest Chicken salad!!! What time do ya want to have lunch tomorrow??? Heeehehe

Really, I so wish I could.

Enjoy your day sweetie!!!

Anita said...

Yummy! I haven't yet tried their salads at McDonald's, but after your ringing endorsement I just might have to!

wendy said...

OK then, I'm on my way.......albeit my McDonalds is about 30 miles away.

I just started weight watchers, so I was happy you posted the point value.
It sounds like a DO!!!!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Huh... who knew? ...might have to try it.. now if they'de only serve a side of guacamole -

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Huh... who knew? ...might have to try it.. now if they'de only serve a side of guacamole -

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That salad does look good. I've never tried their salads, but based on what you've said I really should have one. It's the little things in life that make us happy!

highheeledlife said...

that sounds good .. and to know its McDonalds .. who knew... HHL

Wendy said...

Until now, my opinion of McD's branching out into healthy fare was that I don't go to McD's to be healthy! But after that endorsement, I might find myself eating those words--and a really yummy salad!

Liane said...

Wow! I never expected you to say it was a McDonald's salad - I thought you were treated to a wonderful lunch at a trendy restaurant OR built that masterpiece yourself! And yes, my mouth was watering at the sight of it.....

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...