Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday - A Day to "Ab-stain"

I've been staining for the past 2 weekends. Phew! I'm pooped!
.
I stained the back deck: I used an excellent quality solid stain on the lattice and rails -- one coat did it! (And my boss gave it to me gratis! It was left over from a job we did.) I used a semi-transparent stain on the decking itself and had it tinted to match. The decking needs a second coat, but I am loving the wild punch of color!
.
I began the 2 smaller decks on Friday. Again, I used a solid stain for the rails. I walked into my local Gow's Home Hardware thinking I'd perhaps choose a pale yellow; and there in the "mis-tints" section was a gallon of solid stain for $7.99 in a very soft yellow color! Can you say sold! However, it is a cheaper quality and needs a second coat.
.
Then yesterday after 2 weeks of beautiful sunshine, the beautiful rain began. The staining moved inside.
.
I stained the settle bench that Brandy made for me. Remember I'd talked about perhaps painting it yellow? Well, I went back to Gow's, and there was a litre can of yellow stain for $3.99. Can you say bargain! And can you then say cheerful! This, ladies and gentlemen, is yellow! (I still need to varathane it.).
I also picked up 2 more litre cans of semi-transparent stain for the flooring of the 2 smaller decks for $3.99 each; they're in a barn red color which, I think, will go nicely with the colors in the brick on the front of the house. (I hope it does! Or can you say re-stain!)

.
I'm pleased with the progress of these jobs. But .....
  • Can you say relief that the rain is here and I'm not able to continue!
  • And can you say ouch carpal tunnel!
  • And can you say hello paperback and strawberries and ice cream!

.

Oh! There was one more staining project. This one:

.
Happy Sunday!





11 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

OOOoooo, I love the purple! I think when we get around to building a back deck, I'm gonna invite you to help stain. At the very least, to help find some really awesome deals-you really have a knack for bargains! What you've shown looks great. I hope you post pics of the finished projects. In the meantime, enjoy your book and snacks and Happy Sunday to you, too!

Unknown said...

Love the purple toe nails! And wow, it's great that you got that staining done. What a job!

Donna said...

You have been one busy lady and I am impressed with the colors you have chosen, both for the exterior work and your pedicure! Looking forward to more pix of the exterior.

Gail said...

I am impressed! I wish I had accomplished on half as much. And such wonderful bargain colors! The beautiful purple is like icing on the cake...enjoy your well earned rest.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Wow you have been a busy gal! The colors are gorgeous and I want that Dragonfly decoration on your lattice. I so love dragonflies!! I love your bargain colors and all that hard work is paying off. Thanks for the rain, a book and strawberries indeed. Love the purple manicure, think I'm about to go bright Pink!!

Barb said...

I like all the colors you chose - even for the toes.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love the colors you did for the deck! I remember what hard work it is to stain a deck and railings etc. I still have my deck steps to do. Cute toe nails!

Manuela

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I love the colors on the deck and lattice! You have great taste!
That looks like a lot of work.

Jeannie B. said...

You are so talented!! I have an area that I want to lattice and I love yours, so inspiring. And very cheerful.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Heeehehehe! Love those toenails! Your deck looks wonderful and I just adore the yellow bench.

You have a beautiful day and take some time to enjoy that deck. :o)

wendy said...

LOVE the purple toes. I sooooo could use a pedicure right now.

love also all the color of the deck, the chair. Color can be so cheery.
The title of this post is cute.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...