Thursday, February 11, 2010

THRIFTY THURSDAY

*
Last Friday, I went to a different dollar store than my usual to find a mat for a picture I'm framing. Across the parking lot was the Salvation Army thrift store. But I had no intention of going to any thrift stores that day. I'd already been to one during the week and there was nothing on my "Treasures to Find" list.
*
But I distinctly heard a "Drop into the Sally Ann" call in my head.
*
Now, I have MANY voices in my head!! Some say nice things like "Tell that cashier how pretty her hair is looking"; or "Buy that box of those awful pop tarts for Libby just because she likes them". And there are other voices that say things like "It doesn't matter that you already ate one; have another Snickers bar"; or "Put Vicks Vapo Rub all over your body and run naked through the streets so you can experience being totally mentholated".
*

I don't listen to all the voices!
*
So, I acted like a mature, responsible, frugal woman and I ignored the call to the Sally Ann. "I don't need anything", I told myself. "I'm fine!"
*
But when I came out from the Dollar Store, I heard the voice again: "Go to the Salvation Army thrift store". And as I took the car key from my pocket, I heard it again. And as I started the car, I heard it again. And as I backed out from my parking spot, it repeated itself.
*
So this time, I choose not to ignore it; I simply drove to the other end of the parking lot, parked again and walked into the tiny thrift shop. The sign on the front door said "All winter goods 50% off!"

*
My spidey sense was tingling!
*
*
*
*
I found this pretty jacket for $3.00. (I love blue and it just reminded me of spring and Easter Sunday.)*
Then I came across a rack of t-shirts marked $1.00 each. I half-heartedly began browsing because usually by the time most of the clothes get to the Salvation Army, they're pretty sad looking. But man! I was in the right spot at the right time that day!
*
I found these six -- yes, count'em! 6 t-shirts, 4 long-sleeved, 3 short-sleeved, and 3 of them brand new! Whoo-hoo!

*

The last thing I purchased was this blouse for Adriana. Last spring, my Colombian student Sarita bought this exact one on sale for $16 -- I paid $1.50! And Adriana loves it.

*

*

The moral of my story?

*

Know the voices in your head, my bloggy friends! They don't all add up to $10.00 plus tax!

Some of them add up to a stint in the LOONEY BIN!!

10 comments:

Anita said...

I wish my voices were a bit more like your's....all mine tell me are to eat more of that ice cream and that the diet will start tomorrow! You had some great finds there! Hope you have a good one!

Vonlipi said...

Hummmm! Running naked through the streets covered in Vick's.That's an hilarious thought!

I love the fat spiderman too. You made my morning!

I have a lot of voices in my head too! Evil ones that say things like: Have another piece of pie or have another glass of wine and nicer ones.

I'm going to the Salvation Army today and I hope to find glorious things!

Suburban Princess said...

WOw! Nice finds!
You had me choking on my Ovaltine with the Vick's part lol!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Well thankfully one of those voices you heard spoke some good words of advice. You were in the right place at just the right time. How nice that blue jacket is and getting every thing for what you'd pay for 1 t-shirt lots of places. Very nice shopping you did for sure!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm just tryin' to get the visions of the Vicks Vapor Rub scene out of my head! Heeeheehe, funny girl.

You sure found some great bargains there. I have full conversations with the voices in my head down here on the Ponderosa. Oops did I say that outloud?

Ya'll have a terrific day!!! :o)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

My ninja spidey sense thinks the voices in your head ROCK!
Ya did good sista!

Unknown said...

Great finds! But tell me, have you considered therapy--for those voices? I'm just saayin'

Menopausal New Mom said...

Wow! Great finds, thank God you listened that to voice! I love thrift stores, wish there were more of them. I love a bargain but I also love the recycle, reuse it offers

Anonymous said...

Come heck or high water I am tired of being snow bound and am going to try and get my car out of the drive way and head on up the road to Goodwill, the Antique mall and any other fun place I can squeeze into the day. :) Can't wait!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I really love that top. Thanks for the comments on my sweater. It is a cotton sweater and it just doesn't fray. I had thought about doing a lettuce edging (stretching it and sewing a zig-zag stitch on the edges) but played with it and I got lucky. I have even washed it and it was fine.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...