Saturday, February 13, 2010

2010 Vancouver Olympics

What a tragedy yesterday with the death of Georgian luge athlete, Nodar Kumaritashvili. What can be said to ease the shock and sadness that his family, his team and his country must be feeling.
*
Not being athletic myself, I can't fathom the hard work, sacrifice and dedication that someone puts into trying to achieve a dream such as the Olympics. But I can in some small way appreciate this young man who's life was cut short too quickly.
*
I have also appreciated the sensitivity and respect that the Officials have shown in their press releases and with things such as this:And I pray that God will protect the rest of our athletes and that His comfort and peace will be with the Georgian team and with Nodar's family and friends.
*
*

*
On a more positive note, I'm so proud of Canada and the beautiful opening ceremony last night. The showcase of talent was so amazing -- not just with the music but also with the torch bearers and the people chosen to participate. I was especially proud as well as extremely moved to see that the show began by featuring our indigenous people, their diversity, their art, their stories; it was magnificant! Then there was that wonderful poem "We are More" by Shane Koyczan. Wow! I didn't see that one coming either! And what better person to end this torch relay and light the olympic flame in Vancouver than The Great One himself, Wayne Gretzky.*

I'm so proud of my beautiful country!
WELL DONE, CANADA! WELL DONE!

8 comments:

Menopausal New Mom said...

Yes, having that tragedy yesterday certainly makes for a dark cloud over the day but the ceremony was beautiful last night.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Proud, as you should be. I couldn't believe when Hubby told me of the tragic accident last night. Take care and stand tall my Canadian Friend! You live in a beautiful country.

Have a sweet Valentine's Day!!!

Mattenylou said...

It was a wonderful ceremony, brought tears to my eyes a few time, too. You and your fellow Canadians should be proud, makes me want to visit that area... nice.

Best of luck to all the athletes, may they be safe. What a wonderful experience for them to be a part of.

ethelmaepotter! said...

We were all so sorry that such a tragedy occurred at all, and especially at the very beginning, casting a pall over the entire opening events. It was good to see that Kumaritashvili's death was treated with respect and honor.

I hope we get to see more of your beautiful countryside during the coming days, as the games progress.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Very Proud of Canada! I think this opening ceremonies was one of my favs of all times. I found your blog from Toronto Yard Sale Snoop and I love your posts. I am now a follower!

Linda @ A La Carte

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I'm proud for you and your country.
What heartache for that team and the whole Olympic events.

Unknown said...

A couple of beautiful photos there. I agree, the young athlete's death is a sad tragedy.

Maureen said...

I am so glad that I popped in to see you.

The news of this tragedy just broke my heart. From being on an ultimate high to such a tragedy is devastating for his family. With pride in their hearts they had great dreams for their son. Understandably his teammate was not able to carry on.

The one thing that I know for sure is that each and every athlete at the games should feel great pride. Their hard work, passion and dedication have brought them to the highest of places. Medals are nice but just being a part of it all is a huge accomplishment in itself. Be safe and enjoy the games.

From one proud Canadian. Then again, I didn't need the games for that.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...