Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas Morning




The long awaited day is here at last!


Merry Christmas Everyone!

*
I woke at 6:45 and spent some time just drinking in the day and talking to God about how wonderful He is and how much He has blessed this family!
*
It's a quiet 9 AM now. The children are nestled all snug in their beds (and I have an extra 19 yr old this morning as well!). Mama in her kerchief? Well, in her jammies -- covered by an apron! The stockings are stuffed and the Sandy Claus gifts have been added to the others under tree. You couldn't possibly put another gift under there!
*
I put the pies in the oven to bake set the Christmas breakfast table. Two 5 kg turkeys are stuffed and lovingly rubbed down with salt and pepper. They've just begun to roast in my wonderful convection oven (which equals less time and more tender meat).


*
As I was yet again in front of the sink (I've spent a lot of time here over the past couple of days, me and my pruney hands), I reflected on just how much work I put into this season with the cleaning and decorating and buying and wrapping and baking and cooking. It's an enormous effort! And there'll be 11 of us around my Christmas dinner table today, representing 4 countries, stuffed into my roughly 10 by 10 ft dining room, feasting on a wonderful meal cooked in my even smaller kitchen. And sometimes this thought flits across my mind - "How do you get yourself into these things, Sandy?"
*
But then drying another dish, I suddenly fill with joy and I remember what this is all about. I think of my having a house that can be filled with people! I think of having a pantry filled with things to share with others. I think of how my children won't always be here with me; and isn't it wonderful that they feel that it's a place to share with their friends. I think of my aging body and how there might come a day when I either won't have the strength or ability to do this. I think of loved ones no longer able to share this day with us because they aren't here -- separated either by distance or by death!
*
(And I remember as well that after this gargantuan meal today, I go off duty! Others clean up! And the remainder of my Xmas is about rest and relaxation; and my focus is on me and what I want to do -- or not do!)
*
And it's all worth it! It's all part of my soaking in the season!
*
*
I have been greatly blessed by God!
*
May your Christmas reflect the blessings in your life! Happy Day my friends!

7 comments:

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Sandy, thank you for being a hoot and sharing your journey with me. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely bunch in Nova Scotia (is that spelled right? = )

Enjoy your day!

May

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are so blessed and have every right to be counting those blessings too. Your Christmas sounds just wonderful. All work and preparation is worth every bit of it for the opportunity to share with others. I do wish you a very Merry Christmas!

DUTA said...

What a lovely post! Everything you've done is perfect. Enjoy it all!

Happy Holidays to you!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Sandhy. Hope you had a great day!

Dimple said...

Merry Christmas Sandy. My family enjoyed the addition of fruitcake and chocolate covered cranberries today, I thank you again for the ability to share these delicacies with them!

A human kind of human said...

And I believe God will go on blessing you because you pass your blessings on to others. Someone whom I admire greatly always says that God always blesses us with somebody else in mind and you are living proof of that. I wish you a doubly blessed Christmas so you will have enough to keep something for yourself.

ethelmaepotter! said...

That nativity is beautiful - is it a painting, or...?
Your tablecloth looks very familiar...have you shown us that before, maybe in one of your thrift store shopping excursions?

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...