Sunday, November 22, 2009

WEEKEND THRIFTING

I had a wonderful thrifting weekend. Friday afternoon I dropped by one of my favorite local thrift stores, The Daisy. They're constantly updating the shelves and racks all day long; and they have a wonderful selection of Xmas stuff lately.

**
I picked up this large Xmas tablecloth and 4 green placemats over a week ago at The Daisy ($2 and $3 respectively).
When I dropped in on Friday, I found these matching placemats for $2!

**
On Saturday, one of the local churches had a tea, flea market and craft sale. They not only had lots of goodies (especially on their flea market table), but they had the most phenomenal prices! I was in heaven! (Well, I was actually in a church hall, but it was right next door to the church; and seeing as God frequents there, I guess I could conceivably say that I was in Heaven! It sure felt like it!!)

**
Anyway, have a look at these gems:

**
- 4 lovely pot holders (there's glittery gold threads in the ivy leaves) and this adorable strawberry hot spot -- all cost me $1!

**
- I got a baggie full of all these little Xmas village figurines for $1
**
- I'm sure my jaw dropped open when the lady charge me 50 cents for this Xmas pan! Wow! What a bargain! (I'm not sure if it's for muffins or shortbread cookies? Anyone?)
**
- Have I mentioned to you that I have a particular fondness for pretty glasses? And that I find them particularly attractive when they're all alone. I like opening up my cupboard and having to choose which pretty one I will use at the moment. So when I saw this brady snifter for 50 cents, I had to add it to my collection. (I don't drink brandy -- just add it to my fruitcakes. However, I have been known to sniff quite a lot; so I felt perfectly justified in buying it!)

The pretty "kristal" snifter from Yugoslavia (see below) is sitting on a new Xmas apron ($10) that I bought myself at the craft table. They had such beautiful fabrics!
***
- I have lots of soup bowls, but this was so cute (and 25 cents), so I got it to take to work. (The opposite side shows the rear of the sheep!)
***
- At first, I thought these were stir sticks; there was a sticker across the front. But on getting them home, I find that they're glass ornaments. Again, 50 cents -- still in the package!

***
- I bought 4 books at 25 cents each.

**
- And I thought this grumpy house maid (at 25 cents) was perfect for toothpicks. She looks a little like me when I feel the girls have taken advantage just a wee bit too much!
**
- I have a dear old friend who used to be a photographer; and he has a nice collection of old box cameras. This next one was all of $1 - case, camera, extra lens and the manual! So, I'll add this to his usual Xmas hamper this year.
*
*
- But the "piece de resistance" of my shopping day was this beautiful, bright cake plate. It was sitting on the back table under a few things. But I spied with my little eye something orange! And I was immediately smitten!! I handed the lady my cloth bag, paid for everything I'd gathered to that point and then and had her pack my bag.
I continued throughout the rest of the crafts and bake goods. But I stopped at the flea market table again on my way out. (They'd put out new stuff!! I couldn't help myself!). Lucky for me that I did stop; the lady informed me that she had neglected to put my cake plate in my bag, and she'd been looking out for me ever since.
She'd also had to practically Karate chop one lady to keep her away from it, repeatedly telling her "No, she would not resell it as it was already paid for!"
I say -- "Back off! Get your own sandwich!!"
**
And look at how much I paid for it!! Steal!!
**
What a lovely shopping day!
PS - I get to do this again next weekend; I wonder if I'll find any treasures!

15 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You had more fun than was legal! I love the tablecloth and placemats and I can't believe you found them a day apart. That's so awesome.

You are amazin'!

Vonlipi said...

Wow you were quite the busy thrifting bee! Lovely finds! I love the cake pan such a good deal!

Suburban Princess said...

Looks like you made out like a bandit!

Tootsie said...

you hit the treasure trove this weekend!!! sounds like you had a great time too!

A human kind of human said...

It is said that we will not remember people by what they did, but by how they made us feel. Well I guess you have become indelible in my mind because your posts always make me feel cheerful. Love your shopping and I am a James Patterson fan. After reading one of his books I always feel blessed that I have never experienced such horrors. "Honeymoon" is good. Enjoy it.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Boy you had some luck! I have those Phillipa Gregory books and they're good (she's one of my favorite authors). Love the tablecloth and the cake pan was a score!

Manuela

Sara said...

I would like to hire you to be my personal shopper! Wow, you find such great things. I don't have the patience for thrifting, but I love looking at your treasures!

Suzann said...

You surely hit the mother lode ! WOW.
Thanks so much for popping by my blog today and leaving me a message. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Hats of to you. You find the best buys. I especially love that little cute sheep cup.

Have the best day enjoying your new treasures!!!

God bless

CB said...

Wow! You really know how to do the thrifting thing - What a haul!!
I never find good stuff like that and when I saw the red cake plate I sucked in my breath - it is awesome!!
Great job on all your finds.

lisa said...

I had so much fun thrifting with you vicariously. It is my passion. Good finds. What a rush. BTW, thanks for offering to send me that recipe. I am emailing you now!!

Lisa E.

Suburban Princess said...

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/sockslopi.htm

There is an easy one...if you dont like it just google free sock pattern and you will find thousands of them!

ethelmaepotter! said...

Another great day of finds. I would SOOOOO love to go shopping with you!
The sheep cup is the cutest I've ever seen, and that cake plate...wow!
Oh, and that tequila goblet in the previous post...I have some just like that...weren't they Arby's glasses one year?

ami said...

OH MOM!
I wish you would put that vintage camera in MY Christmas hamper!
It's beautiful!

wendy said...

You love thrift stores and flea markets don't you. so fun and you find such cute things.

I love glasses too ------they are so fun to use when they are pretty and I've been known to buy them just for flower vases.

good find on the books. I have read nearly all of James Patterson's book and Phillipa Gregory (she also has aka Victoria Holt and once upon a time I had her whole collection....in paperback)

great cake plate too

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...