Thursday, November 19, 2009

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE DAY --- NOVEMBER 29th??

My calendar of "American Food Holidays" says November 29th is National Chocolate Day!

***
That came as a huge relief to this little Canuck because I've been enviously salivating at the thought of American Thanksgiving. "That's great!" I thought. "I have this wonderful day to look forward to now!"

**
But then when I check "National Chocolate Day" online, there are a number of sites that say October 28th was National Chocolate Day!!
**
WAS!! What the ????



**
Now, I'm not upset that I've got the date wrong. No, no, no indeedie doo! I'm just upset that if I'd known, I would have had 2 days to celebrate!

**
Ah; c'est la vie!! At least now I'll know for future reference!

**
In the meantime, I will go ahead and spend Sunday, November 29th indulging in and celebrating the joys of CHOCOLATE!



**
**
This link (http://www.health-women.info/family-health/chocolatology.html) contains some very informative and interesting facts about chocolate that you might want to check out.

**
Chocolatology -
The Healthy Benefits of Indulging


Things like:

  • It’s good for the environment

  • It’s good for your mood

  • It's high in antioxidants (even more than a bowl of blueberries)

  • It has beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system (reducing blood pressure and helping to promote healthy blood flow)


  • It’s not bad for your cholesterol (thanks to those antioxidant flavanols)


  • It actually contains nutrients (rich in vitamins B1, B2 and D, as well as the essential minerals magnesium and iron)


  • It won’t give you a caffeine buzz (An ounce of milk chocolate contains only about 6 milligrams of caffeine, while an ounce of dark chocolate contains about 20 milligrams)


  • The higher the percentage of cocoa, the larger the amount of antioxidants.
***
***



With all this information in mind and knowing with full confidence that you are only doing yourself GOOD when you eat chocolate, Chocoholics Unite! Move your chocolate to your right hand and place your left hand over your heart (you may need to lick it off well first) and repeat after me:






The Pledge of Chocoholic Pride



I am proud to be a chocoholic, I dip my cookie with pride.


The days grow cold and the nights grow long when I don't have my bar by my side.


Whether by bar or by spoon a mouthful won't do. The cocoa craving must be satisfied.


Domestic or imported, it has been reported that by cookie, cake, bar or drink, it will keep your true love alive.


*
*
*
Now eat.

And we all know that regardless of the date, every day is Chocolate Day!

8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You just can't celebrate chocolate day often enough in my books! It's great on rainy days too!

Holly said...

I have said the pledge and will unite with chocolate lovers galore to promote well being by consuming chocolate when ever where ever possible.Thanks for the big smile you gave me.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I knew I loved you for some reason, now I know why!
Loved it!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Hand over heart I repeated the Pledge of the Chocoholics and hereby agree I'm in all the way. United we stand, just not in the sun too long!

Have a terrific day filled with blessings and mounds of good quality rich chocolate. We are indulging for the vast health benefits...Right???

wendy said...

Like I need an actual day to CELEBRATE chocolate.
I saw a whole documentary on tv the other day about chocolate. Pretty interesting.
I must LOVE chocolate If I am going to sit there and watch a documentary on it eh.

LOVE YOU COOKIE CUTTERS on your post below. So dang cute----all of them and I love the tin hamper you keep them in

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, National Chocolate Day you say???? November 29th??? I thought every day was National Chocolate Day! hmmm . . . perhaps that is my problem!!!

lynn'sgarden said...

I want that cake!!!
Salivating at all these photos, Sandy! And I'll take that pledge...cute!

ethelmaepotter! said...

STOP!!! Monday and Tuesday are my DIET DAYS this week, and you're making me crazy!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...